Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or ALS is a rare and progressive neurological condition in which the long motor neurons of your brain cortex waste away. This eventually leads to symptoms such as muscle spasms or cramps; rigidity caused by pain with inflammation around it like an abscessed tooth that won’t quite go away despite efforts at removal. Paralysis leads some victims into compulsive movements like head nods while others twist their hands shut on reflexes because there isn’t enough voluntary control left for them to stop.
The effects of ALS take their toll on the body, mind, spirit, and family. Medical marijuana provides the perfect antidote to these symptoms because it causes an increase in dopamine production, which relieves depression and stimulates appetites that have diminished or disappeared altogether. Medical marijuana is helpful for pain management and spasticity relief with its sedative properties that are useful with cramps or spasms.
Many early symptoms can indicate ALS, including weakness in one or both legs with loss of Dexterity. Some people experience slurred speech and difficulty chewing, while others notice problems walking correctly due to their precarious balance. However, some may also note an increased tendency towards choking when eating, which will cause them significant discomfort and risk if not dealt with quickly enough by medical professionals.
The usual symptoms include:
- Muscle deterioration
- Speech difficulties
- Tripping, spilling items and fumbling
- Muscle stiffness
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis & Medical Cannabis
Medical marijuana is a safe and effective treatment for many symptoms associated with Lou Gehrig’s Disease. One such sign, muscle spasticity due to ALS or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, affects the body differently, including making walking difficult at times. Often it is because of stiffness caused by tightness along your spine from contracting muscles, which can interfere with sleep patterns, leading to some patients being less productive than usual. In contrast, others have reported increased appetite, among other benefits of using medical cannabis treatments on these conditions.
Medical cannabis is the answer for many people living with ALS, and the associated symptoms can make it challenging to live. Still, when combined with other treatments like painkillers or acupuncture, medical marijuana enhances the cannabinoid levels in your system, which relieves you from discomfort. It also helps many patients have healthier outlooks on life because of its healing power!
Those living with ALS cope not only with physical symptoms of the disease but also emotional ones. The mental toll that it puts on one can lead to mood problems such as anxiety and depression for some patients. Many use medical marijuana to help them deal more comfortably during this period. Medical cannabis is also known to display therapeutic benefits for ALS patients because it helps them with the mental aspects of everyday life when experiencing symptoms related to lack of sleep, depression, and wild mood swings.
Varieties of Medical Marijuana for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Medical cannabis is a plant that can be used to treat various medical conditions. Each strain has unique properties and benefits that will affect every patient differently, but some people need more than one type of treatment before finding what works best for them in this healing herb. Medical marijuana is often classified into three varieties: Indica strains affect relaxation, while sativa does the opposite – it’s energizing instead! Hybrids contain both indica/sativa genes, so their effects vary depending upon how much each parent contributes towards making up your particular hybrid grown by someone somewhere down the line.
Marijuana strains that can aid with muscular disorders including stiffness and soreness include:
- Super Sour OG: It is a hybrid strain that consists of 50 percent Indica and 50 percent Sativa. The best qualities from both plants are combined in this potent blend, which will leave you feeling relaxed but happy all day long!
- Arctic Blue: This hybrid contains 60% Indica and 40% Sativa. The balance between these two varieties makes it an excellent choice for those who want less of a heavy indica high but still enjoy the effects that come with one, like pain relief or reduction in anxiety symptoms.
- Blue Wreck: This hybrid strain has an uplifting, cerebral effect and makes you feel clear-headed.
Approaches of Medical Marijuana Treatment for ALS
When people think about medical marijuana, they usually imagine a person smoking it. But there’s more than meets the eye! You can consume your cannabis for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in many ways, and some will work better with you depending on how symptoms manifest or what health profile looks like:
- Edibles: Edibles options are a very common way to consume medical marijuana for those diagnosed with ALS. They can take effect relatively quickly, with a longer duration of action suitable for those who need a longer-acting relief, but don’t have much time on their hands or prefer not waiting around and dosing at a high frequency.
- Smoking or vaping: Inhaling cannabis has been shown to let the user feel its effects fast. However, vaping improperly or smoking (combustion) causes tar that damages your lungs and can lead to health problems such as respiratory issues for ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). To avoid this risk, patients should use equipment made specifically for their specific needs with no charring of cannabinoids which may be beneficial in treating some forms of motor neuron disease!
- Epidermis use: Medical cannabis-infused lotions and balms are perfect for soothing your muscles. A marijuana transdermal patch will let you absorb the medicine right into your bloodstream, which is much longer acting than taking it topically at up to 72-hours of THC dosing!
The only person who can decide the best medical marijuana treatment for you is your doctor. Everyone has a unique body that reacts differently to medical marijuana, so your best bet is to experiment with supervision from the experts.
How Medical Marijuana Helps Patient With ALS
Marijuana is a potential treatment for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or ALS. The most promising parts of this research are marijuana’s antioxidative properties which could slow progression and lessen symptoms in those with the disease; anti-inflammatory effects may also help cut down on muscle loss that occurs due to lack of mobility
and rigid muscles when one has trouble moving around because they become too weak from not being able to use them anymore.
Cannabis has also been known to be very effective in treating the following ALS symptoms:
- Spasms of muscles
- Involuntary body movement
- Severe drooling
- Pain & seizures
Cannabis can help those people who are suffering from ALS. A study published in 2010 has shown how this plant works on multiple levels of treatment for patients with the disease, including Glutamate Antagonists, antioxidants, and TNF inhibitors, among others which have all been known to prevent or slow down its progression.
Medical Marijuana Doctor in Florida
The state of Florida has legalized medical marijuana for ALS patients. Compassionate Healthcare of Florida is one of the organizations in Naples that will provide this service to ALS patients under a doctor’s care. With so few options available, we urge you to contact us today if you or someone close to you has ALS and needs relief with medicinal cannabis without fear of legal consequences. Call us today at (833) 633-3665.