With the growing list of benefits we continue to discover about medical cannabis, it is not surprising more people are looking to treat their symptoms and reduce their reliance on pharmaceuticals with MMJ. The good news is Florida is one of the few states that make medical marijuana accessible to both full-time and seasonal residents!
Regardless of how long you have been in Florida, if you do not have a Florida Driver’s License or ID Card, you are considered a seasonal resident by the Office of Medical Marijuana Use. The medical card is identical regardless of which route you apply with, however; those with a Florida ID or Driver’s License will have access to immediate approval, while those who apply as a seasonal resident will need to wait 5-10 business days for the OMMU to review and approve their photo and proof of residency documents.
Seasonal Resident Requirements
Seasonal Florida residents who do not possess a valid Florida driver’s License or Florida identification card must submit a copy of two of the following documents:
- A deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental or lease agreement.
- One proof of residential address from the seasonal resident’s parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other people with whom the seasonal resident resides and a statement from the person with whom the seasonal resident resides stating that the seasonal resident does reside with him or her.
- A utility hookup or work order dated within 60 days before registration in the medical use registry.
- A utility bill, not more than 2 months old.
- Mail from a financial institution, including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than 2 months old.
- Mail from a federal, state, county, or municipal government agency, not more than 2 months old.
**For all forms of residency, the name and address on the document(s) provided must match the name and address provided in the application.
Seasonal residents must submit a full-face, passport-type, color photograph taken in front of a plain white background within the last 90 days. If the applicant ever had a Florida Driver’s License or Identification Card, it is likely this photo will populate automatically from the Florida DMV if you click “check state driving records” under the “supply a photo” area.
Season Residents Approval Timeframe
Suppose you fall into the category of not having a Florida Driver’s License or Identification card. In that case, you are applying as a seasonal resident with alternative proof of residency documents, and the total approval timeframe can take up to 10 business days. If the state does not accept the proof of residency documents due to them being out of the required time frame or if they do not have matching information for the name and address listed on the OMMU profile, it can take an additional five business days after resubmission of the proper documentation.
If, after this advertised timeframe, you still have not received approval, you or your marijuana doctor can call the OMMU Helpline to expedite the application. If you reach out before the advertised timeframe, the state will direct you to wait until that time has passed.
Most Common Reasons For Seasonal Patient Application Rejection
If you have received an email from the state informing you that your application has been rejected, don’t stress as the most common reason is:
- Your Marijuana Doctor selected “Full-Time” and not “Seasonal” when creating your OMMU Profile. Call them to resolve this, as the state will not review proof of residency documents unless “Seasonal” is selected.
- You uploaded a bill that is out of the 60-day window. Resubmit a current bill.
- You uploaded a lease or mortgage without the signature page.
- Your name and/or address do not match identically to what is in your profile. Resubmit a document that matches or have your Cannabis Doctor correct the profile information if it was entered incorrectly.
Where Can I Find More Information?
Detailed instructions and screenshots for the seasonal resident application can be found on the OMMU site at: Initial-Application-No-Suitable-FLHSMV-Match.pdf (knowthefactsmmj.com)
If you are a part-time or seasonal resident in the Southwest Florida area, Compassionate Healthcare of Florida’s Board-Certified Physicians and staff have helped thousands of satisfied patients obtain their medical cards and improve their quality of life. Call 833-633-3665 or click here to schedule an appointment today.